Community

CaBiRet Returns

c1tjyuhxeaaakai

Here’s What Working Class Bisexuals Want in 2017

6943475504_3797d010cd_kHere at Biscuit we’re kicking off the new year by asking what the British bisexual community wants in 2017, not just from the wider world, but from itself.

With that in mind, we asked working class BiCon attendees to tell us what they want they want to see from their communities . Here’s what they said.

There’s no denying that working class bisexuals in the British bi community are a hidden minority. We’re not easy to spot, mainly because so few of us look like traditional working class stereotypes, but that doesn’t mean we’re not there. And when you’re invisible, as bi people know all too well, it’s easy for the prevalent group to assume you’re not there at all.

But it’s really shouldn’t take much for BiCon and the communities it hosts to grow their awareness of working class bis. Here’s what we need.

Understanding 

It’s not… Continue reading

We Asked Prominent Bi People What They Want For Our Community in 2017

2017-wishes-1

“It boils down to visibility in the end”: We talk to Marcus Morgan about CaBiRet

cabiret

Following the success of CaBiRet in October, and with whispers on the wind of another event in the new year, we caught up with Marcus Morgan of the Bisexual Index to find out how CaBiRet came about – and what we can hope for in the future. 

Hello Marcus. Let’s get right down to business. How did the idea for CaBiRet come about?

As August progressed I found myself looking ahead to Bisexual Visibility Day. Looking ahead but not so much looking forward. I realised that although there were things planned for the launch of the book I’d been involved with, Purple Prose, I didn’t have any bisexual events I could go to for Bi Visibility Day itself.

There wasn’t anything in London on the day?

That’s right. And not just geographically – the sort of event I would want to go to wasn’t happening. I have very fond… Continue reading

Up For the Weekend: A Conversation with a Chem Sex Regular

imagesChem sex has been in the headlines recently, but how many of us know what really goes on? Artist and writer Sally Wyatt talks to an ex-chem sex regular. 

“Gay and bi men are being killed by seduction, and sex sites are letting this happen” he said, taking a sip of his skinny latte.

I look at Paul, a social worker in his 30s, who looks like a model from the autumn/winter Gap catalogue. I wonder if I have heard him correctly.

“How do you mean? “  I say.

“Sites like Grindr. People on there. They practically advertise chem sessions.”

“Sorry what’s a chem session?” I ask.

Paul gives me an astonished look.

“You know, where everyone comes, gets high on meth and has lots of sex.”

At this point, I have to confess I’m out of my depth, as I am a complete failure when it… Continue reading

Shock as Long-Time Self-Confessed Nazi is Discovered to be Nazi

tila_tequila_2008_539_332_c1Bisexual “reality” “star” Tila Tequila, who has long posted images to the internet of herself in Nazi garb, publicly praised Hitler and who was kicked off Celebrity Big Brother in 2015 for antisemitism, has shocked the liberal establishment by being photographed performing a Nazi salute.

Self described ‘Alt-reich queen’ Tila Tequila, who once starred in her own MTV faux-reality show A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila, where male and female competitors vied for a relationship with the singer writer internet celebrity, has been pictured alongside white supremacists Richard B Spencer and Chuck Johnson with their right arms raised in a Nazi salute. Tequila, since suspended from Twitter under its new hate speech rules, uploaded the image to the social media platform along side the caption ‘seig heil’ (sic).

The Asian-American star, who claimed in 2012 to be converting to Judaism, has a long history of Nazi sympathising,… Continue reading

United States Activists Call for Support from Across the Atlantic

<> on February 21, 2016 in Greenville, South Carolina.

<> on February 21, 2016 in Greenville, South Carolina.

President-Elect Trump has got lots of us worried. The UK has got a lot of reasons to be fearful of a Trump presidency, and rightly so, but our fears are minimal compared to those about to be living under Trumpian rule. We spoke to our across-the-Atlantic fave, Miles Joyner, about what we can do to support our American allies, and this is what they told us.

The United States are in turmoil once again. Marginalized groups are concerned about their safety, about the legislation that will start being passed. Will we keep our rights? Am I safe in public? Is my partner safe in public? Is my child safe in public? Many POC, Muslim, and LGBTQ individuals have been asking themselves that question for years now, yet with the recent election the question is more important… Continue reading

A Day in the Life of a Bi Asexual

169249078_475b70b357_zTo round of Asexuality Awareness Week, we asked our readers to tell us their stories. Here Julia takes us through how it feels to identify both as asexual and bi.  From getting tired of always being the teacher to so many inappropriate questions, you may find some familiar issues…

“Why is the group called Lesbian and Gay?” I ask, somewhat naively.

“As opposed to what?” answers one of the organisers.

“LGBT…”

“LGBTQ…”

“LGBTQA…”

I’m sitting in an Amsterdam park having a picnic with a group of LGBT people who have met through meetup.com. I’ve been in the country a fraction over 24 hours. I’ve just moved to a new city, and I’m determined to meet new people and not wallow in the self-pity of my country going to pot. Alas, my lack of sleep means I’ve not stopped my mouth running away before my brain… Continue reading

A is for Asexual: Being an Ally to the Asexual Community

imagesAsexuality is a misunderstood and often overlooked group within the LGBTQIA+. Over the years they’ve had to fight, often alone, for recognition within both the LGBT community and within scientific circles. For a large portion of the twentieth century, what we now understand to be just another orientation was seen as a disorder or hormonal imbalance. After overcoming the scientific misunderstandings, asexual activists dedicated attention to overcoming misunderstandings within the LGBT community.

A quick tag search on Tumblr and a few hours spent reading the pages of discourse will show that despite the best efforts of asexuals, the LGBT has been somewhat unwelcoming. This is something I tried to tackle in my article for The Matador Network, A Bisexual Call to Arms in Support of Asexuals, where I discuss the importance of bisexuals supporting asexuals, since our two communities truly do share things in common.

Simply reading an article… Continue reading

Seven Myths About Asexuality, Debunked

2000px-asexual_flag-svgAsexuality – not experiencing sexual attraction – is one of the least widely understood sexual identities, and myths abound. In honour of Asexual Awareness Week, we’ve rounded up eight of the most common misunderstandings, ripe for debunking.

MYTH: Asexuality is just a made up new sexuality.

FACT: Leaving aside that all sexual identity labels are ‘made up’ at some point, the word ‘asexual’ has been used in its current sense since the 1890s. That’s exactly the same length of time as ‘homosexual’ has been around.

MYTH: Asexuality is just a fancy way of saying abstinent or celibate.

FACT: Abstinence is a behaviour. It is the choice not to engage in sexual activity. People who have chosen abstinence or celibacy still experience sexual attraction. By comparison, asexuality is defined by a lack of sexual attraction and is not a choice.

MYTH: Asexual people never have sex.

FACT:… Continue reading